Monday, July 4, 2011

SilverDocs 2011

A movie-loving friend sent me the link to AFI's SilverDocs, a documentary film festival that just ended a week or so ago.  This year's program seems to focus on a lot of wacky character types.  Here's what I am hoping to hunt down on DVD:

At the Edge of Russia
This film depicts a 19 year old soldier protecting the frozen northern border, although there
is little chance of invasion there.  What made me choose this film was my curiousity in seeing just what is up there, does Russia really expect some sort of invasion, and if so, do they believe a young and inexperienced soldier will be able to defend the country?

Bakhmaro
A Georgian (Russia again I guess) restaurant stays open despite no customers.  This sounded like an idea in surrealism.  Who runs this restaurant, and why?

Cafeteria Man
A man who worked to provide healthy school lunches finds it is pretty diffcult to fight against bureaucracy.  As I read more and more about global food issues affecting health, environment, trade, rising costs, why aren't people like this getting more attention?  My guess is big business means big money and little guys get crowded out.

Despicable Dick and Righteous Richard
How can you pass up a title like that?  An old man tries to make amends with those he has alienated with his obnoxious behavior over the years.

Donor Unknown
Daughter of lesbians track down the half siblings she has from the same donor father, and eventually track down their father as well.  Sounds like The Kids Are All Right (a film I wasn't as enamored with like the critics) but the storyline could be more troublesome in real life.

Family Instinct
A Latvian family includes an incestuous relation between the daughter and her imprisoned brother.  What drives people to form incestuous relationships?  Is it a power thing, a sexual thing?  Or just imblances in the brain?

For Maria (short film)
Two people with chronic substance abuse problems fall in love.  I am not sure this will be found on a DVD anywhere, since it is a short film.  It is hard for me to see substance abuse as an illness.  Everyone makes choices in their lives and should own up to their mistakes one way or another.

Incendiary:  The Willingham Case
The case of a man executed for murderous arson of his daughters is re-examined.  I like watching forensic and real mystery documentaries.  Sometimes the facts seem so cut and dried you wonder why the authorities got it all wrong.  Sometimes the important clue is so obscure it is a wonder that an innocent man is freed at all.

Irma (short film)
This one is about a female "lucha libre," i.e., Mexican wrestler.  This topic has several ideas that interest me.  It is about a female athlete, in a sport not well-known in the U.S.  Also the sport is known as a man's sport, I haven't heard of female lucha libres before, and a side of Mexican culture I don't know about.  And no, I did not watch Nacho Libre.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi
This profiles a master sushi chef of a very exclusive restaurant.  Every time I see movies where people are eating or preparing good food, especially Asian food, my interest is piqued.  I also like watching people or machines making things, like those videos in Mister Rogers' Neighborhood where a factory is visited.

Kiss the Paper (short film)
A guy in love with letterpress type.  I took a printing class in high school and worked with some letterpress printing.  I also like rubberstamping so this short film appeals to my creative side.  Again, since it is a short film I may not be able to find it anywhere to view.

Lost Every Day (short film)
A woman lives each day as new due to a medical condition she has.  I assume it is something like the Drew Barrymore film 50 First Dates.  There is so much unexplored in the brain, it is a wonder we can understand any of it at all.

The Loving Story
About the Lovings, the interracial married couple.  It feels like race issues will never be resolved, at least not in my lifetime.  There will always be a minor race that people will blame or misunderstand.

Minka (short film)
An American journalist and a Japanese student transport a run down farm house from the hills to a  Tokyo suburb.  The old vs. new aspect of this appeals to me.  That and the Japanese aethetic.

Miracle on 22nd Street (short film)
Two New York City men keep getting letters addressed to Santa and decided to do something about it.  This sounds like a feel-good film, not exactly my type, but I imagine it will include some humorous anecdotes and wise words from the mouths of babes.

Miss Representation
A look at women's roles and perceptions in media.  Like race relations, despite the large advances women have made, I feel like they still haven't reached equal terms with men in any field.  I am not sure this film will really say anything new though.

Moon Over Broadway
A behind the scenes look at "Moon Over Buffalo," a play starring Philip Bosco and Carol Burnett from some years ago.  Another sort of "how people do things" film that I like to see.

Mushrooms of Concrete (short film)
Albanian government-mandated nuclear bunkers are abandoned and costly eyesores now.  This may be the first Albanian movie I have interest in.

Penultimate (short film)
An artist uses pens to draw as well as a sculptural device.  This appeals to my artistic and craft-y side.

Pruitt-Igoe Myth: An Urban History
A St. Louis public housing project is a failure, and this is recounted and explored.  I know people who live in public housing don't want to be there, but what makes them stay or decide to stay? 

Renee
Profile of Renee Richards, the famous transgender tennis player.  I remembered when this happened, but I haven't seen any real in-depth discussion about this topic, especially from someone who went through the physical and emotional process.

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles
Mysterious tiles embedded in the street are examined.  I believe they are some sort of street art.  There used to be one by the John Hancock tower here in Chicago that I passed by on the way to work, but it's since been paved over.

Three Walls (short film)
About people who work in office cubes.  I can identify with this, I went from an open room, to an office, to a cube, to another cube.  It seems the smaller my company becomes, the smaller my space does as well.

Twinset (short film)
A British cross dresser is welcomed by the elderly ladies in his community.  Sometimes I think the elderly are set in their ways and narrow-minded as to modern views, and other times something like this comes along.

Two (shorts)
A middle aged man acts as if he is two years old.  I am not sure if he voluntarily acts like this or if he is mentally challenged in some way.  Either way, this is another psyche that is rarely talked about.

No comments: