Saturday, October 1, 2011

Chicago International Film Festival 2011

The Chicago International Film Festival is beginning in a few days! My plan usually is to get the Passport and supplement it with $5 matinees and some free panels. 

Strategy for choosing films?
--Go through the catalogue and pick any that sound interesting.
--Look them up on IMDB or elsewhere for ratings and reviews.
--Circle them all on the calendar and see which ones work out to a manageable schedule.

I usually skip any English language ones from the U.S. or U.K., as those more often will return to the regular movie schedules later in the season or next year.  Foreign films starring legends like Catherine Deneuve will no doubt come around later here too so I usually will save those for another time.

There are always going to be a few I am interested in but just can't fit into the schedule; this time around its a few documentaries: Day Is Done reminds me of another doc I saw at the film fest several years ago, Ending Note: Death of a Japanese Salesman, L.A. Raeven: Beyond the Image. All four of these sound like they have some intruiging character studies, which interests me from an anthropological aspect, and not those pushing an agenda, which is not the type of doc that appeals to me.

I've left a few slots open for some last minute movies, it will be interesting to hear what gets the buzz.
See my list, after the jump!

Almanya: Welcome to Germany
A German child learns about his Turkish heritage through his grandfather's history as a guest worker in the 1960s.  As I've gotten older I've been getting more into my own heritage but probably not as much as I should have.  I hope this movie is not too "cute."

An Evening with David Robinson
David Robinson heads the Pordenone (Italy) Silent Film Festival and introduces several old silent films.  Pordenone takes place about the same time as CIFF.  Their films obviously are from the early 1900s, and most look like foreign made films, but I will have dig into their schedule further to find some buried gems.  Thanks Mr. Robinson for attending CIFF, as if you don't have enough to do with running your own festival!  I always appreciate when fests have an archive of their schedules, which helps me discover even more films.

Azhagarsamy’s Horse
Not all Indian films are Bollywood-style and Azhagarsamy's Horse doesn't sound like it belongs in that vein.  It's not an East meets West story, but more a feel-good, light-hearted comedy.

Cairo 678
Fests always have a strong showing of women's issues, and Cairo 678 is no exception.  Three women deal with each of their different experiences of sexual harrassment.

Chico & Rita
I've already heard of Chico & Rita coming our way.  I'm glad to see it in the fest. I think they should have more animated films.  This is heavy on Afro-Cuban music.

Chronicle of My Mother
This is based on an autobiographical novel.  The theme is aging parents.  I think the Japanese tackle this theme pretty well.

Cooley High
A retrospective screening of this film from 1975.  It seems like on one hand race relations have come a long way, and on the other hand, we still have the same old issues.

Don’t Go Breaking My Heart
I find that Chinese films fall into two basic categories.  Films about mainland China often deal with history and hardships.  Hong Kong films are more lighthearted comedies or kung fu/action films.  Don't Go Breaking My Heart is a Hong Kong film, for sure.

Fat, Bald, Short Man
This is a rotoscope animated film about, you guessed it, a fat, bald, short man.

Good Bye
Although the choice of title doesn't sound very insipiring, this Iranian film tackles many women's issue--pregnancy, career, fighting an oppressive government.  The director Mohammad Rasoulof is currently under house arrest in Iran but managed to make this film and screened at Cannes.

Kaidan Horror Classics
We don't get a lot of foreign tv here, especially if it is a foreign language like Japanese, so if I find something interesting I go for it.  Japanese horror just seems so much more creepy than what we find in America.  They often deal with ghosts, and because I think they treat the spirit world as something more real than we do, with many folktales about ghosts and dead ancestors, I think they are more realistically effective.

King of Devil’s Island
This is one of those "based on a real story" films.  No doubt people are going to mention Lord of the Flies when talking about this one.  That will give you an idea what the film is about.

Le Havre
I remember watching this director's film The Man Without a Past at the fest several years ago.  Listen to some of the music here.  Since then I've hunted down several other of Aki Kaurismaki's works:  The Match Factory Girl, Lights in the Dusk, Shadows in Paradise.

Love Actually...Sucks!
Thankfully this is not a vampire comedy, but instead about the complicated sex lives of young Hong Kong citizens.  I enjoyed this director's Amphetamine last year (to some extent) and hope this an improvement on the theme.

My Best Enemy
This is a WW2 film about a Jewish man who refuses to be a victim.  There are so many WW2 films (no doubt the war most filmed in history) and this film seems to have a new story to tell.

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
This is a dark police thriller, which I think the Europeans do especially well.

Snowtown
Based on grisly real events, this Australian film about a murder spree does not sound like it is for those with weak stomachs.

The Clown
A Brazilian clown leaves the circus he has been with all his life and searches for his identity.

The Whisperer in Darkness
This movie is based on an H.P. Lovecraft story.  It is filmed in black and white.

Tomboy
A girl goes with the flow and is perceived as a boy.  Hmm, wonder why we don't see more films with the genders switched?

Top Floor Left Wing
This is a French film about a hostage, taking place in one day.

Volcano
Volcan is a Danish film about an aging couple still in love.  When the husband retires, it becomes an interesting coming-of-age story.

No comments: