Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Free event: My Mexican Shivah

Morirse esta en Hebreo (My Mexican Shivah)
Tuesday, January 8, 2012
6:00 p.m.
UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico)
350 W. Erie Street

This comedy Mexican Jews who have to perform shivah, a funeral/death rite, when one of them dies. Many of the deceased’s friends and family gather to see him off, but they are all petty and selfish with their own agendas for being there. Meanwhile, two Jewish “angels” watch over them, adding up points for and against the deceased, to see where he will end up, in heaven or hell.

I was hoping this would show me some cultural differences or show the mix of these two cultures I haven’t seen together before. The comedy tends to instead show stereotyped characters such as that Hispanics are lovers and Jews are money grubbers. Here and there were interesting characters or a small storyline that was interesting.

No comments: