Wednesday, August 17, 2011

50/50

It is rare that I go into a film knowing nothing about it. I habitually read up on movies that interest me to see if it is worth my dollars, whether it is for the movie theatre or a DVD rental, or not worth my time. Like many other people I hear about movies far in advance via the internet, and put them on my plate to seek out news as it gets closer to the film’s release date.


50/50 falls into the “know nothing” category. All I really knew of it was the poster, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt shaving his head while a shocked Seth Rogen looks on in the background. My assumptions were that it was a male-based comedy, perhaps with some juvenile hijinks unbefitting the ages of the characters.


Gordon-Levitt plays a young Seattle man Adam who is told he has a terminal illness. His circle of friends and family—best friend Kyle (Rogen), girlfriend Rachael (Bryce Dallas Howard), and mother Diane (Anjelica Huston) and Alzheimer’s inflicted father all seem to deal with the news ineffectually. Adam himself is a little closed off and doesn’t let much emotion show, constantly claiming he “feels fine.”

His doctor suggests a therapist to talk things out, so Adam begins seeing Katie (Anna Kendrick), and since she is a couple years younger than him, he at first is not convinced she has much sage advice. He also befriends two other men during his chemotherapy treatments (Philip Baker Hall and Matt Frewer) who can see his point of view, something Adam feels the people closest to him simply cannot do. Adam of course has to let out his emotions and trust that he CAN depend on his circle to support.

Seth Rogen co-produced and I think he fits better in a supporting actor role with dramatic elements (Funny People, Observe and Report) than as a lead actor (Green Hornet). While I don’t particularly care for his brand of humor, I admit there were some very funny takes in this film. In his role, Gordon-Levitt I think was more than capable but could bring even more to his closed-off character. The evolvement of the relationships were credible in that "everyone has friends and family like that." Anjelica Huston especially makes her mother character sympathetic and we can recognize her neediness in many of our own mothers.

The setting is very “indie” with its Seattle locale and music choices.

No comments: